Irregular periods are a cause of great worry and stress amongst women. Irregular periods should be understood as a clear indication that the natural balance of the menstrual cycle has been lost. However, the fact that you suffer from irregular periods is not a cause of any health hazards and in fact it is only benign. Most of the women suffer from problems in their menstrual cycle at some point of time in their reproductive years. Frequently occurring periods, missed periods and heavy bleeding and clotting during periods are clear signs of hormonal imbalances which are present in your body.
It is mostly noted that in the early phase of menstruation, it takes a long period of time for the hormones to attain stability in your body whereby which they can create a balance which can aid in a normal and regular menstrual cycle. Thus, most of the women do suffer from irregular periods in the initial years of their menstrual cycle. This problem is also very common during the last years of menstruation. So, if you are referring to irregular periods during either of these two stages in your life, then you can be rest assured that it is not a major health problem.
It has also been found that many women do suffer from irregular periods just after their pregnancy. Apart from these three common factors, the other important reasons which result in irregular periods are:
1. Unusual weight gains or weight losses are one of the common reasons which results in irregular periods. Mostly women with extremely low body weight do suffer from this problem, but obesity in women can also seriously affect the menstrual cycle.
2. In case you suffer from deep emotional problems and stress, then it can surely result in irregular periods. Most of us are unaware of the fact that stress can lead to serious disturbances in the reproductive health.
3. Eating disorders are a sure cause of irregular periods. It has been clearly proved that eating disorders such as anorexia and bulimia nervosa can impact the menstrual cycle in a very drastic manner and in case you suffer from any eating disorders, then irregular periods is the main side-effect to it.
4. Most of us will not agree to this fact but the truth is that irregular menstrual cycle can also be caused due to excessive exercising or in the matter of overstraining of the body. You will be surprised to note that many of the athletes do suffer from the problem of missed periods.
5. Consumption of high amount of alcohol is also a very strong cause for disturbances in hormonal metabolism which can in turn result in missed or irregular periods.
6. The presence of uterine abnormalities or growths such as uterine fibroids, cervical polyps and endometriosis can certainly result in irregular periods as well.